Tuesday, October 28, 2014

9/11 Digital Story EDU 533

This year, I had the opportunity of being in a high school classroom as the anniversary of September 11, 2001 arrived. The students in this class were only six at the time of the terrorist attacks - I felt old!  The teacher of this class was out of the country on 9/11/01, and all of a sudden, I was the only person in a full room who had a distinct memory of the day. I was in sixth grade, living in NY at the time, when my principal announced the news to each grade individually. I remember many minute details of that day. I'm sure, not unlike many other adults recalling September 11. 
As the assignment of Digital Story came, I realized I could take this opportunity to educate students who, at the time, will not have been alive at all during the 9/11 attacks. In addition to the most recent September 2014 anniversary experience I shared, I also have a personal connection with 9/11/01. My father, a pastor with The Salvation Army, led a team of emergency disaster relief personnel to Ground Zero to provide hot meals and warm drinks, a place to rest and a place for prayers of peace and comfort. He served for a week and was witness to unbelievable tragedy and heartbreak. Day in and day out, he stood his post and offered a comforting smile, homemade cookies, and other words of encouragement for those on the front lines of rescue and recovery. 
Please enjoy my digital story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment